Tis the season for thanks and giving! Let us work on finding gratitude in everything this month because there is always some reason for us to be thankful. While we strive to be thankful year round, Thanksgiving is a special time of year that is set aside to reflect on our lives in gratitude. More than just making you happier, being grateful is essential to a healthy lifestyle.
“Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” – Melody Beattie
As we prepare for November 28th, we are reminded that living with an “attitude of gratitude” puts us in the right mindset for success and for significance. “Gratitude” is a powerful word and an ethos to live by. It always feels so good to give to others; good for the mind and good for the soul! When you can put a smile on someone’s face and know that your attention, your kindness, your love or your resources made a massive difference… That is true IMPACT!
Below are a few ideas on how YOU can start impacting Collierville this holiday season and ripple out goodness back into the community:
- Take an animal for a walk at the Collierville Animal Shelter! Or simply bring a bag of food. Make time to bring the kids and have them interact with the animals by reading them a book or playing with chew toys!
- Create a care package for the adults of Page Robbins Adult Day Center. Take a moment to write a letter of encouragement and involve the kiddos. Their arts and crafts can brighten someone’s day!
- Have old coats and sweaters you don’t plan on wearing this winter? Gather a few items to donate to the local Goodwill and give the gift of warmth to some else!
- Don’t forget the people who serve us year round, making our lives a bit easier. Surprise your Mail Carrier/ UPS Driver/ Salon Stylist/ Housekeeper with a thank you note and token of appreciation!
- Notice more books than you can count on your bookshelves? Gift the Friends of the Library with a donation of gently used reading materials.
- Not everyone’s Thanksgiving table has a cornucopia of food. Consider on a grocery trip gathering non-perishable food items for the Collierville Food Pantry.
- Mentor a student working hard towards their degree by volunteering at the Collierville Literacy Council. Make a difference by giving your time and talents so these individuals to better their future!
- Our First Responders could always use a word of encouragement! Consider taking a note of appreciation or maybe even bringing a meal to any of our local Fire Stations or Police Station.
- Many Seniors in our community struggle to pay for their prescriptions at the pharmacy. Next visit, consider asking the local Pharmacist if they know of a family struggling to pay for their medicine and see if you can’t make a difference in their lives by helping foot the bill!
- A Random Act of Kindness to the person behind you in line at the store or driveway can turn a frown upside down! We never know what the person next to us is going through, and by showing we notice them by buying a cup of coffee or a meal in the drive-thru line, can change a person’s day!
Do you have an idea on how to spread kindness in our community? We’d love to hear your good ideas! Make sure to connect with us by following Tour Collierville on Facebook and Instagram! Merry Month of Gratitude to you!